I have been told on numerous occasions that I am a stress horder- or something along those lines. This ability of mine to hold in stress until it boils over has resulted in many odd health quirks that manifest at inconvenient times. Usually its a minor cold, rarely its a monster of a migrane, but this time its a doozie.
Needless to say, I need to find a way to de-stress. Running usually works well for me, but in winter its so cold and the air quality is so bad that running is hard. I also have a quick yoga video, but I need a variety too.
So my question for you all... How do you de-stress? What works best for you and what are some of your warning signs of high stress levels? (On a side note: if you know me really well, what are some of my warning signs?) Basically, how do you stay sane and healthy?
I'd love some help. :)

I know I'M not the person to ask about stress management :) Sane & healthy, what is that?
ReplyDeleteBesides for a daily work out (its a MUST for me, even if its creative or quick or less than perfect), I think routines help, a lot. And a clean house. It sounds really simple, but really helps us.
When you aren't fighting with your alarm clock (and have found a good bedtime/wakeup routine) and you have set structure, it is easier to focus your energy on what it needs to be focused on (work, school, husbands, etc), rather than wasting it by scrambling plans, dinner ideas, cleaning and everything else together at the last minute. If you know what you are going to do each day and know what to look forward to, then you won't be as worried about what you have to do next. You can focus on what you need to do NOW, a lot better.
Also, lists help. Not just lists of daunting to-dos that you hope to conquer that day, but normal stuff too. That way when you do have a hard day, you can look and say "hey, at least I read my scriptures, and made my bed and went to work.." and suddenly the little things can be a lot more empowering when you see how much you actually did do.
I'm not sure that made any sense. But I love you. And I'm sure you'll do great! :)
I agree with Juliana. Lists are great. I live and die by little lists. And goals. Like, finish reading the BoM by my birthday, or read one book every month. Writing in my journal also helps me a lot. I find that when I haven't written in a long time, I don't have as much to say, but after a few days I have more and more thoughts on the surface of everything else, and it really helps getting my thoughts on paper. There is just something about writing things out that is so different from documenting it on a computer. I feel like it's really good.
ReplyDeleteSomething new I have discovered is prayer beads. Many other religions use them, and I decided to make some and apply them to my life. basic concept is to say a small prayer for each bead (mine has 108 beads like some tibetan monks), and for me as I say my little prayer (Om Namah Shivaya which in Sanskrit means I honor the divinity that resides with in me)I start thinking of other ways those words mean something to me, such as how the divinity in me is also divinity in Christ and Christ is perfect, and I have Christs divinity in me, therefore I have Christs perfection in me, therefore I am perfect, and all I have to do is what I was sent here to do, and that is to be like Christ and try my best to keep his commandments. Anyways, you get the idea. I'll be going through this in my head, while repeating my little prayer, or phrase, and next thing I know it's been 30 min, and I've only gotten halfway through my necklace. It's a nice way to unwind, or start your day, and it really helps me at least to feel connected to our Savior, and as a result I feel calm and relaxed, and so far have been able to handle my stressful days better.
Hope this helps!!