Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sisters

Or seesters (seeeeeeesters) as my sisters-in-law would say.

I grew up without them. I have two brothers. Two awesome brothers. One about 5 years older, and one almost 9 years younger. We are a bit spread out. I grew up as an expert at playing with matchbox cars, blocks, marbles, action figures, army men, and I was a monkey climbing trees. Pinecone wars, bike races, and playing tennis with cars were also regular parts of growing up. So were hide-and-seek, cops and robbers, and all kinds of boy movies. Though I remember being beside my self with joy when mom brought home Beauty and the Beast. I didn't need sisters, I liked playing in the boys world.

In high school I developed a friendship that was like having a sister, or two or three. M (you know who you are!) and I were inseparable for a few years, and we had some spats that went with being inseparable. Her older and younger sisters were like family to me too. It was wonderful!

I didn't get an "official" sister until I was 17 when my brother got married to my amazing sister-in-law J. Her wit and sarcasm made me appreciate her all the more. In college I often would call and visit. We would chat on my lunch breaks, she would give me advice, and her opinions which were always highly valued. She was my matron-of-honor at my wedding. She helped me so much through my engagement, and planning, and talking, and Zupas.... J it wouldn't have been possible without you! Now she's having twin boys in a couple weeks, and I'm so excited!!! I hope I can repay all of the wonderful things she's done for me.

Marrying my Hubby meant I got another Sister-in-law! We almost share a birthday (hers is the day before mine) and she is so much fun! She was a bridesmaid for me too. It was so meaningful to me to have my two sisters there for me at my wedding! It is so much fun to have her nearby. She is wise beyond her years, and has been invaluable to me in helping me to get to know my new family. She's silly, playful, serious, fun, creative, and unfailingly kind. And she love her dog-niece, Luna!

Then Hubby's brother met a girl. And a little while later I got a new official sister-in-law! It has been (fill in the blank here: fun, interesting, though-provoking, meaningful, I can't pick the right one...) to watch her as she finds her place in her new family. I see myself in many of the experiences she has had with her in-laws. She is sweet, feminine, creative, and way more in touch with her girly side than I ever have been (in a good way Hayl)! She is helping me want to embrace my inner (very deeply buried) domestic goddess.

I am so blessed to have three such wonderful sister as a part of my life. I am better because of each of you. I'll never know exactly what I missed growing up with sisters, but having you with me now is a wonderful thing. I am learning and growing as I watch and spend time with you.

I love my Seeesters!

2 comments:

  1. i cried when i read this. you are so great. i love you sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was sweet, Laura. No wonder everyone loves you! (Me included!)

    I feel like our family was missing Jeff & Kat our whole lives. How did we ever get along without them? But I guess its a good thing that we did, because Luke & I would have had some difficulty marrying them, if they'd been born into our family...

    There are 5 years between Luke and me. And I especially love that Kat is exactly 2.5 years between us (smack dab in the middle). Its like her place was always saved. I love sisters, too! (Who would have known?!)

    ReplyDelete