Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Band Geek

One of my favorite memories of high school was marching band. After spending so many years with the same group of kids, you tend to get very comfortable with them. So by the time we got to our senior year, we were all pretty much family. A really big and completely dysfunctional family whose members always wanted to date each other....

Anyway, it sure seems like the people that I'm still actually friends with from high school were all in band with me. I mean, we had some really good times. Rebecca and I flew home together from Spokane in 9th grade from a big field trip, then when we were seniors we shared a room together on our band trip to Disneyworld. Unfortunately Rebecca was nearly on her deathbed for a couple days with a fever and other not-fun symptoms.

Some of the best memories were full of a bunch of band kids all eating lunch together, or out on the field at band camp, or asleep on a steamy bus on the way back from a football game. I became an expert at the card game 13 my senior year when i ended up playing percussion and didn't have a part in one of the pieces. I also learned that I could curl up under a chair and take a nap. A good skill to have. Maybe not exactly the life lessons you're supposed to learn, but I definitely used the napping thing in college between classes. Just find an empty hallway and curl up and sleep for a while. Its not as weird as it sounds, I promise.

I just thought I'd reflect on my high school memories a bit, it is spring after all (a time for nostalgia), and at the very least I teach high school and think about my experiences all the time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment